Monday, March 24, 2008

Oh, the Humanity

It's been a long road since Isla was born. She's such a precious jewel. It amazes me how she knows exactly what to do with herself, and she knows exactly how to manipulate us[parents]. Both of us have had a highly modified sleeping schedule as of late, creating hecktic situations out of otherwise ordinary ones.

The solution I have found is to just pass out whenever you get a chance, especially when she's nappin. Our baby knows nothing of daytime/nightime sleep cycles. It's a funny thing to be a daddy. I look at her when she's sleeping on my chest and I wonder what it is that she is dreaming about. It seems that such a young thing wouldn't even know how to but I see her dream and they seem like the most rich and vivid dreams...



She's just shy of 6 weeks now, but she is constantly teaching me new lessons. I see her interactions with her environment and I see that nature has equipped us humans with a marvelous set of survival instincts. I see how nature evolved to make the frequency of their cry match exactly the frequency the human ear picks up in turn precipitating an acceleration of the heartbeat, a raise in blood pressure and an overwhelming urge to attend to their needs. How at the mere sound of her cries, mom starts to leak like a sive. It's amazing how, even though she cannot necessarily return emotional responses yet, as a parent I know it's there. I'm convinced that she knows who I am and that she knows my touch and the sound of my voice and the rythum of my dancing. When she falls asleep in my arms, I know that she already completely trusts me. Lastly, I always wonder if humans are inherently happy or sad, but after my short time with Isla, I am convinced that humans are generally happy creatures at the start. It's a magical feeling when she smiles at you. She can keep you up all night, scream in your ear for hours, demand your attention constantly, test your patience in ways that you never thought possible, and then....she looks you in the eyes and flashes your the briefest of smiles and instantly, you've forgotten everything and your completely in love.


This past weekend we took her to our friends, Max and Jill, who had a baby girl, Iris, only one day before Isla. This was our first time meeting since the girls were born, but I was amazing how you can really connect with people who have traveled down the same road as you. The girls, as you can see below, were partying up a storm together!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: